World War One slowed down tourist activity in Montreux but did not seem to have an impact on the willingness of players to play their favourite sport.
Even though 9 holes of the course were sacrificed in response to the need for food, the activity of Golf Club Montreux continued and strengthened. The calendar of competitions was never as intense : Spring competitions, international competitions, the first Emery Cup and amateur championships feature in each season.
The inter-war years saw the arrival of great figures who made a mark on the life at Golf Club Montreux. Cecil K. Hutchinson, the famous golfer and captain of the club in 1919, arrived in 1918. Ida Burger ran the Club House restaurant from 1920. François Pernet was appointed greenkeeper in 1926.
Parallel to this, the golf course experienced different developments and expansion. The fieldwork for the extension of a 6th hole with the creation of a new green, the elongation of the 7th hole and the creation of new bunkers at the 4th hole was carried out in 1925.
In 1929, the Kursaal company bought new plots of land. The course would be extended to 18 holes in 1931.
New names appeared, Pinching, Orthwein, Peltzer, Wittman, Baron de Constant Rebecque, Countess Colloredo-Mannsfeld, the ladies Jackson, Feraldo, Fries, and the gentlemen van Swinderen, Staadecker, Boeye, Machlup, Hutchinson and Smith.
However, despite all the efforts undertaken to improve the situation of the golf club of Montreux, the latter declined from 1933 onwards. The following 13 years, until the arrival of the president Jean Wiswald, would be the most challenging. The club's revenue and number of visitors to the club continued to decrease. The quality of the course originally superb worsened. The Kursaal company chopped down 25 poplars, which had been the appeal of this place. The political tensions increased. The number of visitors fell due to the rationing of petrol. The Wahlen plan, adopted in 1941, monopolised half the estate to change it to arable farming.
Since the financial situation was at its worst, the Society for the Development of Montreux repurchased Golf Club Montreux in 1943.
Being a well-known top cook, Mrs Burger gave up running the restaurant in 1945.
The post-war history of Golf Club Montreux finished on this unfortunate note. Happily, two new presidents would take care of rebuilding the image of our golf club.